Monday, June 30, 2014

Attending a World Cup - Things I have Learned

Things I have learned from Going to My First World Cup …

I have been a life-long soccer fan – as a player, coach, referee, fan, and as my favorite role – dad.  And I have tried to be a life-long student of all things I experience.  Therefore in an effort to burn off nervous energy before the US-Belgium game tomorrow, I offer what is probably a very lame attempt at “Things I Have Learned” by attending my first World Cup. 

Open Table does not cover many Sao Paulo Restaurants … if you are looking for a good Italian bite to eat you should just talk to Luis Suarez.

I love our brethren from the United Kingdom but I have never been around more nervous and pessimistic fans (except at an Oakland Raiders game) …

The Brazil fans are wonderful – five minutes before kick-off firecrackers (and probably gun shots and a few cannon shots) go off all over Sao Paulo – then the entire population of the city stops wherever they are and watch the game.  They have two objectives:  (1) they enjoy the game and (2) they support their team.

Whenever you start thinking “hey my son’s in the world cup” … you need a dose of the Beasley Family --- four World Cups and they are just totally chill.

My fatherly ship has sailed on World Cups … but if you find yourself in Russia with the Beslers … start putting in the distances and the intervals before showing up or Greg Besler is going to smoke you.

The Amazon Rainforest really is hot and humid … I mean really hot and humid. 

If you ever wonder what the best player on a field looks like – get to a game in person and watch Tim Howard --- UNBELIEVABLE. 


If you went to Brazil and thought your Two Year Old Basset Hound was going to be good while you were gone … then you would have been surprised when you got the following Viber text during the USA-Portugal Game:  “… several of our friends are on Google checking to see if eating 14 toothpicks is a problem for a Basset Hound.  Millie powered down a whole platter of sausages before kick-off.  Everyone is pretty upset because those sausages looked good.” 

2 comments:

  1. So proud of the team. Hope all the fans keep following the guys at their clubs. Just wanted you to know that I appreciate everything this team has done and I'm a big fan of your son. Chris is a great role model for me and I look forward to cheering him on for the Quakes. Hope he keeps his head held high, he made me proud to be his fan.

    ReplyDelete