This past Friday night (January 26) was a bit humbling, but it was also tremendously fun and rewarding. When you are just a guy (like me) -the spotlight is something that you see shining on other people. Thanks to my son, for a short period of time, I found myself on the other side of the spotlight. And after 24 hours I decided to reflect on some signs that maybe your life has turned out okay.
TOP TEN SIGNS IN ONE NIGHT THAT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOUR LIFE HAS BEEN PRETTY GOOD:
10. You go to an event where your sons are wearing suits and ties.
9. Your sons and daughters-in-law share a pre-ceremony drink with you in the lobby bar at the Fairmont Hotel (you pick up the tab – your sons have learned alligator arms).
8. You look at your daughters-in-law and realize that they are two of the most beautiful women on earth (right up there with your step-daughters).
7. When you look at your three sons – you see men. Men that you would want to be friends with.
6. You get to be part of an amazing organization’s awards night like Coaching Corps.
5. Coaching Corps and NBC Sports Bay Area give you your own handler – I’ve never had a handler and that was pretty cool …no – wait – that was way cool.
4. Your sons and daughters-in-law spend part of the night with you at the Tonga Room in the Fairmont and you watch your daughter-in-law dance with your wife to a cover of Earth Wind and Fire. (#onlytwodancing)
3. You remember the last time you danced with your wife to Earth Wind and Fire and you realize it was “Reasons” last Thursday.
2. You have 3 sons, 2 step-daughters, 2 daughters-in-law, 2 sons-in-law, 5 granddaughters and 1 grandson.
1. You’ve been able to be a volunteer coach for 43 years and the last 22 years have been at a high school in town where each and every year you fall in love with your players and remember why this is important.