Monday, August 25, 2014

What I Learned this Summer (that you can use too)

With Labor Day coming up this weekend – and many people calling it the ‘unofficial end of summer’ – your Award Winning Blog will join the me-too group and reflect on this past summer.  Now, the editor of Your Award Winning Blog will only recognize the end of summer when the Autumnal Equinox brings the season to a close at 7:39pm on September 22nd.  But I always do like to jump on a bandwagon --- so --- here are the three things that I know now but did not know when the summer of 2014 began. 

======
·          If the San Jose Earthquakes give up 4 or 5 goals per game … their chances of winning that game go down dramatically (you don’t get your C Coaching License by not paying attention people).

 ======
·          Having a grandchild has given my wife something to shop for.  She loves to shop and so prior to having Emersyn - when she ran out of things to shop for – I ended up with a lot of socks.  Now she spends 15 hours per day at Buy Buy Baby … and I have run out of socks.

 ======
·          The Oakland Raiders are just never, ever, ever going to have a competitive NFL team ever again – never.  Except the year after they move to Los Angeles or San Antonio.  My new coping device is Fantasy Football. 
 ======


     No season is without trials and tribulations – things you just have to fight through.  Until this summer I was never going to use a gas grill … I had my Traditional Weber and my Big Green Egg and my life was brilliant.  I was not a zealot for my way of grilling and smoking ... I did not evangelize… I just let gas grill guys be lazy and wrong without criticizing.  UNTIL – the summer of 2014 – I found myself during one family getaway at a vacation cabin with a gas grill and a traditional Weber.  I opted for the gas grill that ONE TIME – and it became my gateway drug.  I am now hopelessly conflicted – when under the influence of the gas grill (Weber – 4 burner – Searing Station … Stainless finish … easy ignite … a temptress powered by propane) I think that this is what grilling should be like – but two days without the gas grill and I am back to being my old self.  I guess the good news is that I don’t need to go to Grilling Rehab Camp – because my wife is simply not an enabler – no way she will let me get a gas grill in addition to my traditional Weber and Big Green Egg … of course if I said it was for the baby – I might be able to squeeze it through the bank account filter.  I’ll keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment